home  
news  
contact us  
“…there exist a sixth mount of a very particular construction, the base is nearly square, and consist of three stories…”, William Dunbar first wrote in his journal when he arrived at the mouth of Little River during his exploration of the Louisiana Purchase in 1804.

Further investigation of this ancient site by the Dunbar / Hunter expedition records, “…a stupendous turret situated on the back part of the whole, or farthest from the water, whose base covers about an acre of ground, rising by 2 steps or stories tapering in the ascent, the whole surmounted by a great cone with its top cut off. This tower of earth on measurement proved to be about 80 feet perpendicular.” Dunbar also noted, “at this place are several Indian mounts” of large size and “the appearance of an embankment”.

The “tower of earth” described in 1804 was abused throughout the years and its remaining bulk was fatally attacked in 1931 when the state highway department needed the dirt for the approach to the first Black River Bridge.

After a new bridge replaced the 1931 structure a portion of the “tower of earth” Dunbar described has been reclaimed with help from the state. This original Great Mound dirt is being used to construct a large replica of that massive architectural achievement.


The image above is a composite by Joe Saunders - state regional archaeologist - showing Winslow Walker’s diagram of the Great Mound imposed over a picture dated in the late 1920s of the Great Mound of Troyville before it was completely torn down.

©2014 Great Mound of Troyville Replica. All Rights Reserved.
Please direct comments or questions about this web site to bill@catahoulahistory.com.